LITTLE BOGGY CREEK
LITTLE BOGGY CREEK. Little Boggy Creek rises just east of State Highway 60 and three miles southwest of Wadsworth in south central Matagorda County (at 28°47' N, 95°56' W) and runs south for eight miles to its mouth on the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway (at 28°43' N, 95°55' W), three miles northeast of Matagorda and just off East Matagorda Bay, into which the creek emptied prior to the waterway's construction. The stream, which is intermittent in its upper reaches, initially traverses low-rolling to flat terrain with some local dissection and deep to shallow sandy and clay loams that support grasses and hardwoods. As it nears the coast, the creek dissolves into a brackish marshland interspersed with many small lakes. The marsh supports diverse plant and animal species including waterfowl and numerous grasses. A state historical marker at a place known locally as Battle Island marks the site of an 1826 battle with the Karankawa Indians that occurred at the creek's mouth.
Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., 1986–88).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LITTLE BOGGY CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbl57), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.