LOWER KEECHI CREEK
LOWER KEECHI CREEK. Lower Keechi Creek, a perennial stream, rises (at 31°21' N, 96°08' W) in west central Leon County near Jewett and flows southwest for thirty-seven miles to its mouth (at 31°09' N, 95°46' W) on the Trinity River, in far southeastern Leon County on the Houston county line. It traverses nearly level terrain, surfaced by sandy loam that supports mixed woods of pecan, water oak, elm, hackberry, post oak, black hickory, and mesquite. The creek is named for the Keechi Indians, who, until their expulsion from the county in 1835, maintained a large agricultural village on the banks of the middle creek north of the site of Centerville. Anglo-American settlement in the vicinity of the stream began during the early 1840s. In the late 1860s the creek was the site of the only gristmill in Leon County. In 1871 Jewett was established near the headwaters on a new railroad line. The Pleasant Springs and Siloam communities are just north of the middle creek, and Pleasant Ridge lies on the opposite bank; Cairo is on the south bank of the lower creek.
James Young Gates and H. B. Fox, A History of Leon County (Centerville, Texas: Leon County News, 1936; rpt. 1977). Frances Jane Leathers, Through the Years: A Historical Sketch of Leon County and the Town of Oakwood (Oakwood, Texas, 1946).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LOWER KEECHI CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rblcr), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.