MILL CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)
MILL CREEK (Grimes County). Mill Creek, a perennial stream, rises at the confluence of Kickapoo and Hurricane creeks one mile south of Plantersville in southeastern Grimes County (at 30°19' N, 95°52' W) and flows southeast for twenty-six miles, through wooded country, to its mouth on Spring Creek, in southwestern Montgomery County (at 30°08' N, 95°37' W). Lake Neidigk covers about one mile of the lower course of the creek one-quarter mile above its mouth. Gently rolling terrain in the area is surfaced by sandy loam that supports loblolly pine-shortleaf pine, water oak-elm, and pecan-elm woods along the banks. Mostyn is on the north bank of the creek's middle course; Ventura lies on the north bank of the lower creek and the Pinehurst community on the south. On February 14, 1687, the French explorer René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, crossed the stream heading north on one of his many forays into the Texas interior in search of the Mississippi River. Anglo-American settlement in the vicinity of the creek began during the 1830s. A number of sawmills operated on the banks of Mill Creek south of Plantersville during the early settlement of the region.
Robin Navarro Montgomery, The History of Montgomery County (Austin: Jenkins, 1975).