MILL CREEK (MASON COUNTY)
MILL CREEK (Mason County). Mill Creek rises five miles northwest of the James River in southwestern Mason County (at 30°36' N, 99°26' W) and runs northeast for 10½ miles to its mouth on the Llano River, one mile southeast of Ranch Road 1871 (at 30°39' N, 99°19' W). Rising in limestone hills on the eastern edge of the Edwards Plateau, the creek crosses an area characterized by flat to rolling terrain and soils ranging from shallow and stony to sandy and clayey loams. Vegetation consists primarily of grasses and open stands of live oak, Ashe juniper, and mesquite. The first gristmill in Mason County was established on Mill Creek in 1855 by Sam (or Joshua) Peters and his son-in-law, George W. Todd. The mill ran on water power and was operated by a slave named Fagan.
Kathryn Burford Eilers, A History of Mason County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939). J. Marvin Hunter, "Brief History of Mason County," Frontier Times, November, December 1928; January, February, March 1929.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MILL CREEK (MASON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbm95), accessed December 13, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.