PALO DURO CREEK
PALO DURO CREEK. Palo Duro Creek rises (at 34°58' N, 102°56' W) in western Deaf Smith County and flows east forty-five miles into central Randall County, where its junction with Tierra Blanca Creek (at 35°00' N, 101°54' W) near Canyon forms the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River. There Palo Duro Canyon begins and the headquarters of the T Anchor Ranch was established in 1877. The creek's upper portion was part of the XIT Ranch's Escarbada Division. In western Randall County the stream is dammed to form Bivins Lake, a main source of water for the city of Amarillo. The creek flows in a flat to rolling area with local escarpments. Hardwood forest, brush, and grasses cover soils that are mostly deep, fine sandy loams.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PALO DURO CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbp15), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.