PANTHER CREEK (LEON COUNTY)
PANTHER CREEK (Leon County). Panther Creek rises (at 31°23' N, 96°07' W) in northwestern Leon County two miles northeast of Jewett and runs northwest four miles to its mouth (at 31°25' N, 96°09' W) on Alligator Creek. It traverses an area of gently sloping to nearly level terrain, surfaced by sandy loam that supports intermittent woods of post oak, black hickory, and mesquite on its banks. Anglo-American settlement in the vicinity of the stream began in the mid-nineteenth century. In 1872 the International and Great Northern extended a line through the area, and Jewett was established southwest of the headwaters as a rail station.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PANTHER CREEK (LEON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbp24), accessed March 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.