PINEY CREEK (AUSTIN COUNTY)
PINEY CREEK (Austin County). Piney Creek rises (at 30°03' N, 96°19' W) in northern Austin County and runs southeast for fifteen miles through mostly open country to its mouth (at 29°57' N, 96°08' W) on the Brazos River. The stream traverses rolling to nearly level terrain surfaced by sandy to loamy and loamy to clayey soils. Along the creek's banks for much of its course grow intermittent stands of post oak-blackjack oak, elm-hackberry, and loblolly pine-post oak. The community of Piney Creek is located on the east bank near the headwaters. Anglo-American settlement in the vicinity began in the early 1820s, when several of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists took up headright grants on the banks of the lower creek. Bellville was established two miles south of the middle course of the creek in 1847.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PINEY CREEK (AUSTIN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbp93), accessed November 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.