PLUM CREEK (HAYS COUNTY)
PLUM CREEK (Hays County). Plum Creek rises in eastern Hays County (at 30°02' N, 97°54' W) two miles north of Kyle and runs southeast for fifty-two miles to its mouth (at 29°38' N, 97°36' W) on the San Marcos River, at the Gonzales-Caldwell county line about three miles southeast of Luling. The Clear Fork of Plum Creek rises in southeastern Hays County two miles southeast of Kyle and runs southeast for twenty-six miles, to join Plum Creek in Caldwell County about four miles northeast of Luling. The only other major tributary of Plum Creek, the West Fork, rises in western Caldwell County about four miles southwest of Lockhart and runs southeast for 21½ miles, joining Plum Creek about 1½ miles east of Luling. Plum Creek is intermittent in its upper reaches. The local terrain is characterized by clay and chalk soils that support post oak trees. In August 1840 the battle of Plum Creek was fought on the stream's banks near the site of present-day Lockhart.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PLUM CREEK (HAYS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbpam), accessed September 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.