PEVITOT GULLY. Pevitot Gully rises eight miles southwest of Beaumont in central Jefferson County (at 30°01' N, 94°13' W). Intermittent in its upper stages, the gully follows a southeasterly course for six miles to its mouth on Bayou Din, one mile northwest of that watercourse's mouth on Hillebrandt Bayou. The gully was probably named for Michael Pevitot, who received title to land along its banks in 1835. Pevitot Gully cuts through the clayey, loamy soils typical of much of Jefferson County. Much of the nearby area is used to grow rice.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PEVITOT GULLY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbpee), accessed May 25, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.