REDGATE CREEK. Redgate Creek rises (at 29°54' N, 96°31' W) in southwestern Austin County and runs southwest through a series of flood-control impoundments into Colorado County; it then roughly parallels the route of Farm Road 109 for 10½ miles to its mouth (at 29°47' N, 96°33' W) on Cummins Creek. The local topsoils, sandy loam over mottled clay, support a mixture of oak, cedar, pine, and yaupon, which is at times quite thick. When cleared the land is excellent pasture. The stream passes through the Frelsburg oilfield and touches the northern edge of the Columbus oilfield. The creek name comes from Samuel J. Redgate, who settled in the area and received title to a plot of land six miles west of the creek in 1838.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."REDGATE CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbr28), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.