SHEPHERDS CREEK. Shepherds Creek, a spring-fed perennial stream, rises four miles north of North Zulch in western Madison County (at 30°59' N, 96°07' W) and flows southwest thirteen miles to its mouth on the Navasota River on the Brazos county line (at 30°51' N, 96°10' W). Gently sloping to nearly level terrain is surfaced by loam and clay that support pecan-elm, water oak-elm, elm hackberry, and post oak-black hickory woods along the banks of the creek. Anglo-American settlement in the vicinity of the stream began during the late 1830s. The Bundic community was founded on the west bank of the upper creek following the Civil War. North Zulch was established on the east bank of the middle creek around 1900. The stream appears to have been named for Thomas Shepherd, who settled his family on a tract of land near the upper creek in the late nineteenth century.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SHEPHERDS CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbsbe), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.