SIERRITA DE LA CRUZ
SIERRITA DE LA CRUZ. Sierrita de la Cruz rises northeast of Vega in southeastern Oldham County (at 35°17' N, 102°21' W) and flows northeast twenty miles to its mouth on the Canadian River in western Potter County (at 35°28' N, 102°05' W). Its name, which means "little mountain of the cross," is derived from a nearby hill overlooking the Canadian Valley on which the outlaw Sostenes l'Archeveque was buried after his death at the hands of Colas Martinez and his fellow pastores in 1876; for years the grave was marked by a wooden cross. In the early 1880s W. M. D. Leeqv added this area to the LS Ranch. Most of the Sierrita de la Cruz area is still owned by the Ware family of Amarillo. Farm Road 1061 crosses the creek near its junction with the Canadian in Potter County. The moderately steep slopes with locally high relief have shallow to moderately deep silt loams covered by mesquite and grasses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SIERRITA DE LA CRUZ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbsbn), accessed July 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.