SIMPSON CREEK. Simpson Creek rises five miles south of San Saba in eastern San Saba County (at 31°06' N, 98°42' W) and runs north for twelve miles to its mouth on the San Saba River (at 31°12' N, 98°41' W). The stream crosses flat to rolling terrain with localized dissection. Vegetation consists primarily of live oak, mesquite, Ashe juniper, and grasses growing in sandy and clayey loam soils. The stream might have been named after Thomas Simpson, an early landowner. It is also possible that William S. Wallace, surveyor of Bexar District, named the creek on May 7, 1846, in honor of John Simpson, his chain carrier.
Alma Ward Hamrick, The Call of the San Saba: A History of San Saba County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1941; 2d ed., Austin: Jenkins, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SIMPSON CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbsbw), accessed July 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.