SOUTH MESQUITE CREEK
SOUTH MESQUITE CREEK. South Mesquite Creek rises a mile north of Eastfield College in northeastern Dallas County (at 32°50' N, 96°40' W). Intermittent in its upper reaches, the creek flows southeasterly for 14½ miles to its mouth on the East Fork of the Trinity River, just over one-half mile west of the Kaufman county line (at 32°42' N, 96°32' W). The surrounding clayey soils are of the Houston Black-Heiden and the Trinity-Frio associations. Settlement in the area was extremely sparse until the summer of 1873, when Texas and Pacific Railway Company officials filed for the town of Mesquite and built a station there.