SPRING CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)
SPRING CREEK (Grimes County). Spring Creek rises four miles northeast of Navasota in southwest Grimes County (at 30°25' N, 95°59' W) and runs west seven miles to its mouth on Holland Creek, a tributary of the Navasota River, three miles north of Navasota (at 30°26' N, 96°04' W). It crosses flat terrain with local shallow depressions surfaced by clay and sandy loam that supports water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses. Anglo-American settlement in the vicinity began in the early 1820s when first Andrew Millican, and then the brothers Francis and William Hollandqv, took up land adjoining the lower creek. In the early twentieth century the Salem Missionary Baptist Church was established on the upper creek.
E. L. Blair, Early History of Grimes County (Austin, 1930). Grimes County Historical Commission, History of Grimes County, Land of Heritage and Progress (Dallas: Taylor, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SPRING CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbsfb), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.