STEELE CREEK (BOSQUE COUNTY)
STEELE CREEK (Bosque County). Steele Creek rises 3½ miles northwest of Walnut Springs in northern Bosque County (at 32°07' N, 97°46'W). Intermittent in its upper reaches, the stream flows southeast for 40½ miles to its mouth on Lake Whitney, on the Brazos River south of Lakeside Village (at 32°00' N, 97°26' W). Originally known as Steels or Steeles Creek, the watercourse is probably named for James S. Steele, whose land grant at the junction of Steele Creek and the Brazos River is dated August 7, 1835. By midcentury the creek was a focus of settlement, with clusters of families located both near the stream's mouth and near the site of future Walnut Springs on the stream's western side. The Texas Central Railroad closely followed the path of Steele Creek as it built westward across Bosque County in 1880.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."STEELE CREEK (BOSQUE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbsgl), accessed July 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.