STEPHEN CREEK. Stephen Creek rises in northeastern San Jacinto County (at 30°40' N, 95°13' W) and runs east nine miles to its mouth on Lake Livingston (at 30°42' N, 95°11' W). The surrounding low rolling hills are surfaced by sand and clay that support young pine and hardwood forests and grasslands with some mesquite. The creek was reportedly named for Miles G. Stephens, a large landowner who received the original land grant on October 26, 1835. The town of Stephen Creek is a mile south of the creek near its mouth.
Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Kelly A. Woestman, "STEPHEN CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbsgn), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.