SUNDAY CREEK. Sunday Creek rises in two canyons known as Sunday and Little Sunday at the breaks of the Llano Estacado in Palo Duro State Parkqv in eastern Randall County (at 34°57' N, 101°47' W) and flows east for five miles to drain into the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River (at 34°57' N, 101°40' W). The creek was named by a surveying party who spent a Sunday in camp there in 1887. The forks of the creek flow past two of the canyon's best known landmarks, Devil's Tombstone and Lighthouse Peak. Velloso Dome, location of the park's only known exposures of Cloud Chief gypsum, is near the stream's mouth. The creek flows over moderately steep slopes with locally high relief and shallow to moderately deep silt loams covered with mesquite and grasses.
Duane F. Guy, ed., The Story of Palo Duro Canyon (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SUNDAY CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbsht), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.