SHAW CREEK (FAYETTE COUNTY)
SHAW CREEK (Fayette County). Shaw Creek rises 1½ miles northeast of Waldeck in north central Fayette County (at 30°05' N, 96°49' W) and runs east for nine miles through two large flood control reservoirs to its mouth on Cummins Creek, a mile southwest of Round Top (at 30°04' N, 96°42' W). The stream runs through terrain surfaced by shallow, easily eroded topsoils of sandy loam and sand mixed with gravel and heavy subsoils with a high component of clay and gravel. Generally the land is marginal for agriculture but, with care, can produce corn and hay or pasture for cattle. On flat land at the juncture of Shaw and Cummins creeks is a large orchard. The creek is probably named for Joseph or Peter Shaw, locally prominent colonists who took active roles in the Texas Revolution and in community life.
Leonie Rummel Weyand and Houston Wade, An Early History of Fayette County (La Grange, Texas: La Grange Journal, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SHAW CREEK (FAYETTE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbskv), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.