Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

SCATTERBRANCH CREEK

SCATTERBRANCH CREEK. Scatterbranch Creek rises through several small tributaries west of and within Childress (at 34°26' N, 100°15' W). One of the branches forms Lake Scott in the southern part of the town. The intermittent stream travels south for twelve miles, through the rolling range and irrigated cropland of south central Childress and northeast Cottle counties. The shallow clay and sandy loam of the region naturally support only juniper, cacti, and sparse grass. The creek flows into the North Pease River eight miles northeast of the intersection of U.S. Highway 62/83 and Farm Road 1440 (at 34°16' N, 100°10' W). Centerfire Springs, once located six miles south of Childress, was the source of one tributary of the creek. Excavations indicate that the springs were the site of a Paleo-Indian campground. Local residents fished in Scatterbranch Creek until 1925, when both the springs and the creek dried up. The springs, like many in the area, failed to survive the declining water table.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"SCATTERBRANCH CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbsmh), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.