Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

TENTH CAVALRY CREEK

TENTH CAVALRY CREEK. Tenth Cavalry Creek rises three miles north of the North Fork of Buffalo Creek in north central Wichita County (at 34°04' N, 98°44' W). The stream was originally called Gett's Creek for a surveyor; the name was changed to honor the Tenth Cavalry. One legend calls the army unit an all African-American outfit, stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, that was attacked and killed by Indians just north of the creek in 1871. No record, however, supports this story. Another account given by residents was that the unit chased Indians to the Red River. Tenth Cavalry Creek is intermittent except in its lower reaches. It runs northwest for 6½ miles to its mouth on the Red River, six miles north of the North Fork of Buffalo Creek Reservoir (at 34°08' N, 98°45' W). It crosses flat terrain with local shallow depressions surfaced by clay and sandy loam that support water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses. The area has been used as rangeland.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Louise Kelly, Wichita County Beginnings (Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1982).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"TENTH CAVALRY CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbt26), accessed November 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

TSHA Links