TRUJILLO CREEK. Trujillo Creek rises near the New Mexico state line in southwestern Oldham County (at 34°57' N, 103°07' W) and flows northeast for twenty miles to its mouth on the Canadian River (at 35°28' N, 102°52' W). Josiah Gregg and his party camped on this stream on the night of March 10, 1840, when they fought off a marauding band of Pawnee Indians. Trujillo Creek received its name from Jesús María Trujillo, who established a homestead eight miles from the creek's confluence with the Canadian River about 1876. The short-lived Anglo settlement of Trujillo was developed there by the Sperling brothers in 1878. The creek is now the center of the Trujillo Cattle Corporation properties. The moderately steep slopes and locally high relief are made up of shallow to moderately deep silt loams covered by mesquite and grasses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TRUJILLO CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbt83), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.