TAYLOR BRANCH. Taylor Branch rises two miles southeast of Plum and 3½ miles west of La Grange in north central Fayette County (at 29°54' N, 96°56' W) and flows east, roughly parallel to State Highway 71, for four miles to its mouth on Buckners Creek, just east of the Guenther Airport and south of the Fayette County Livestock Commission auction barn on Highway 71 (at 29°53' N, 96°53' W). Throughout its course the creek crosses relatively productive soils characterized by layers of calcareous clay. Much of the land north of the stream adjacent to the highway is developed by industries catering to oilfield needs, and gas and oil wells dot the landscape. Near its mouth the stream outlines the west, south, and southeast boundaries of the airport. Sand and gravel have been extracted from the creekbed, and surrounding lands still in agricultural use produce good crops of grain and hay. The terrain is rolling. The creek's name is probably derived from that of N. C. (or C. H.) Taylor, who was listed as a landholder in the area in 1840.
Leonie Rummel Weyand and Houston Wade, An Early History of Fayette County (La Grange, Texas: La Grange Journal, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TAYLOR BRANCH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbtbg), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.