TECOVAS CREEK. Tecovas Creek rises northwest of Bushland in southwestern Potter County (at 35°12' N, 102°06' W) and flows northeast for fifteen miles to its mouth on the Canadian River (at 35°27' N, 102°01' W). Its name is a corruption of Spanish techados, "tents." The creek is fed by Tecovas Springs, long a favorite bartering site of Comancheros and their Indian customers. In the 1870s a stone and adobe plaza was constructed there by pastores from New Mexico. The plaza was also a campsite of prehistoric people and of traders, military parties, and hunters from the time of the Spanish exploration in the 1700s. Since 1881 this site, and most of the creek, has been the nucleus of the Frying Pan Ranch. Farm Road 1061 crosses the stream in western Potter County. The creek begins in a flat to rolling area with local escarpments where hardwood forest, brush, and grasses cover mostly deep, fine sandy loam soils. It passes through moderately steep slopes with locally high relief and shallow to moderately deep silt loams covered by mesquite and grasses and moves into an area of rolling to steep slopes surfaced by shallow clay and sandy loam soils, locally stony, and vegetation consisting of juniper, cacti, and sparse grasses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TECOVAS CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbtbt), accessed April 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.