TONK BRANCH. Tonk Branch rises in two branches that merge four miles south of Graham in south central Young County (at 33°03' N, 98°37' W). The North Branch rises four miles west of Graham near Farm Road 209 and runs southeast for four miles. The South Branch begins two miles northwest of the Tonk Valley community and travels southeast three miles. Tonk Branch runs east an additional mile before entering the Brazos River one mile west of Farm Road 1287 (at 33°03' N, 98°36' W). The surrounding terrain is characterized by low cuestas. The soil is shallow and stony, and the vegetation consists of live oak, juniper, and grasses. The creek was named after the Tonkawa Indians, who camped near the Tonk Branch-Brazos River confluence.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TONK BRANCH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbtbv), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.