WELLS CREEK. Wells Creek, or Hurricane Creek, rises in central Anderson County just north of Palestine (at 31°50' N, 95°39' W). The thirteen-mile stream, intermittent in its upper reaches, describes a great curve through eastern Anderson County, first running southeasterly, then northeasterly, and finally in an easterly direction to its mouth on the Neches River, one mile north of Philips Lake (at 31°49' N, 95°33' W). The banks of the stream are heavily wooded in places with mixed pine and hardwood trees, and the terrain is nearly level to moderately steep and surfaced by sandy, loamy, and clayey soils. The land is predominantly woodland and farmland. The stream is probably named for Samuel D. Wells, who in 1835 was granted a league of land along the banks of the creek.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WELLS CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbw52), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.