WHITEFISH CREEK. Whitefish Creek rises near Alanreed in southern Gray County (at 39°12' N, 100°47' W) and flows southeast for twenty-two miles to its mouth on the Salt Fork of the Red River, in eastern Donley County (at 34°60' N, 100°36' W). In 1879 Whitefish Creek and its tributaries were occupied by the Quarter Circle Heart Ranch, but in 1880 Alfred Rowe added them to his RO Ranch. The area is flat to rolling with local escarpments. The soils are deep, fine, sandy loams that support hardwood forests, brush, and grasses at the head. The creek later reaches a flat area with local shallow depressions, where clay and sandy loam soils support water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses.
Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Cowman's Country: Fifty Frontier Ranches in the Texas Panhandle, 1876–1887 (Amarillo: Paramount, 1981). Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Panhandle Pilgrimage: Illustrated Tales Tracing History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1976; 2d ed., Amarillo: Paramount, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WHITEFISH CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbw80), accessed June 16, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.