WILSON CREEK (MATAGORDA COUNTY)
WILSON CREEK (Matagorda County). Wilson Creek, formerly known as Wilson's Creek, rises 2½ miles west of Markham and just north of Farm Road 2431 in northwest Matagorda County (at 28°58' N, 96°07' W) and flows south for fourteen miles; the stream is crossed by State Highway 35 and the Missouri Pacific Railroad before reaching its mouth on the Tres Palacios River, nine miles northeast of Palacios (at 28°50' N, 96° 08' W). The community of Wilson Creek and a more recent suburban development called Tres Palacios Oaks are located near the creek's mouth. The stream is intermittent in its upper reaches. It flows through flat to rolling prairie with dark calcareous clay soils that principally support hardwoods and grasses. A group of families called "Wilson's party" settled around 1822 on a branch of the Tres Palacios that was probably Wilson's Creek. During the 1800s the creek, and the Tres Palacios below it, proved navigable, and for a time it was used to ship bargeloads of cotton to Matagorda Bay. Several unsuccessful attempts were made to connect Wilson Creek to the navigable section of the Colorado River. These included the Colorado and Wilson Creek Rail Road Company, incorporated in 1846, and the Wilson Creek and Colorado Canal Company, incorporated in 1873.
Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., 1986–88).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WILSON CREEK (MATAGORDA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbwbm), accessed September 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.