YARBORO CREEK. Yarboro Creek rises eight miles northwest of Courtney in south central Grimes County (at 30°19' N, 95°51' W) and flows northwest for four miles to its mouth on Grassy Creek (at 30°22' N, 95°57' W). The stream drains gently sloping terrain, traversing zones of clayey and loamy to sandy soils. Narrow stands of loblolly pine and post oak woodland line the creek's upper course. The stream has been dammed two miles below its source to form Yarboro Lake, seven miles east of Navasota. Settlement in the vicinity began after the Civil War; by 1879 James Quincy Yarborough, for whom the stream is named, had established a gin and gristmill on the headwaters of the creek, in the vicinity of which was founded the town of Yarboro.
Grimes County Historical Commission, History of Grimes County, Land of Heritage and Progress (Dallas: Taylor, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."YARBORO CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rby02), accessed October 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.