AUSTIN BAYOU. Austin Bayou rises 1½ miles east of Rosharon in northwest Brazoria County (at 29°22' N, 95°26' W) and runs twenty-eight miles southeast to its mouth on Bastrop Bayou, eight miles southeast of Angleton (at 29°06' N, 95°18' W). The creek has been altered at various points to form Peltier Garrett Lakes, McCullough Lake, and other reservoirs. Austin Bayou is named for Henry Austin, who received a title for land along the stream in 1831. The surrounding flat to rolling terrain is surfaced by clay and clay and sandy loam that supports mesquite, grasses, cacti, water-tolerant hardwoods, and conifers.
James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."AUSTIN BAYOU," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rha04), accessed November 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.