CARPENTERS BAYOU. Carpenters Bayou rises at the south end of Sheldon Reservoir in southeastern Harris County (at 29°51' N, 95°10' W) and runs southeast for about twelve miles until it joins Buffalo Bayou at the San Jacinto Battleground State Historical Park (at 29°45' N, 95°06' W). The bayou traverses flat to rolling terrain with local escarpments and dissections, surfaced by thin to thick sandy and clay loams that support native vegetation including mixed hardwoods and pines. In developed areas the native vegetation has been replaced by cultivated row or cover crops. The bayou was possibly named for David Carpenter, who was granted land along its banks in 1824.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CARPENTERS BAYOU," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rhc04), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.