COW BAYOU (JASPER COUNTY)
COW BAYOU (Jasper County). Cow Bayou, formed by the junction of Gum Slough and Dognash Gully, rises eleven miles south of Buna in southeastern Jasper County (at 30°16' N, 93°56' W) and runs south-southeast for thirty miles to its mouth on the Sabine River, at Bridge City in Orange County (at 30°01' N, 93°45' W). With the development of rice farms in Orange County during the early twentieth century, Cow Bayou was used as a source of water for irrigation canals. The bayou, which is intermittent in its upper reaches, was long an important avenue of transportation and saw extensive barge traffic by 1911. In 1963 Congress approved a measure to improve the bayou by constructing a channel 100 feet wide and thirteen feet deep for 7.7 miles from its mouth to Orangefield, where a large (300' x 500' x 13') turning basin was projected. However, a number of oil wells at Orangefield blocked the right-of-way, and only the first seven miles of channel was dredged. In 1967 planners deemed the channel adequate for navigation and flood control, even without the turning basin. At that time four industrial concerns operated terminal and transfer facilities on Cow Bayou. Two fishing camps and a number of boat ramps and wharves were also present.
James E. Johnson, An Economic History of Orange County, Texas, Prior to 1940 (M.A. thesis, Lamar State College of Technology, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."COW BAYOU (JASPER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rhc17), accessed July 13, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.