WHITES BAYOU. Whites Bayou, also known as Long Island Creek and Blau Gully north of Devers, rises a mile southwest of Daisetta in east central Liberty County (at 30°05' N, 94°40' W) and runs south into Chambers County. Most of its water is diverted west into Spring Creek by a man-made canal seven miles above its mouth. Nonetheless, the creekbed remains apparent, and, with water gathering intermittently south of this diversion, the bayou follows a more westerly course to its mouth on Turtle Bayou, 1½ miles northeast of Lake Anahuac (at 29°50' N, 94°39' W). In its entirety the creekbed runs for twenty-eight miles. Sarah Wilcox, a pioneer settler on the bayou, named the watercourse for her father, John White, of Louisiana. The cracking clayey soils along the upper stages of Whites Bayou become more loamy toward its mouth. The surrounding landscape is low-rolling to flat and supports mesquite, cacti, and grasses.
Jewel Horace Harry, A History of Chambers County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940; rpt., Dallas: Taylor, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WHITES BAYOU," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rhw03), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.