BEESON'S FORD. Beeson's (Beason's) Ford was located on the Colorado River at the site of present Columbus in Colorado County. It was named after Benjamin Beeson, who operated a ferry at the crossing. Beeson's wife, Elizabeth, ran an inn there. In 1836 Sam Houston's army camped at the crossing from March 19 to March 26. The ford had to be abandoned as the Mexican army approached.
Amelia W. Williams and Eugene C. Barker, eds., The Writings of Sam Houston, 1813–1863 (8 vols., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1938–43; rpt., Austin and New York: Pemberton Press, 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Anthony S. Powers, "BEESON'S FORD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rib01), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.