Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

CAMEL'S HUMP

CAMEL'S HUMP. The Camel's Hump is a pair of knobs two miles east of State Highway 118 on the Terlingua Ranch, sixty-three miles south of Alpine in south central Brewster County (at 29°32' N, 103°31' W). They stand isolated on a broad desert flat covered sparsely with Chihuahuan Desert scrub. The knobs at their highest point reach an elevation of 3,662 feet above sea level and stand about 250 feet above the surrounding terrain. The Camel's Hump is a Tertiary-age igneous mass that intrudes into the Upper Cretaceous Boquillas formation, which is a flaggy limestone. The feature's present shape comes from erosion of the comparatively less resistant, thinly bedded limestone away from the more resistant igneous rock. Though the name of the Camel's Hump is very likely a descriptive allusion to its camel-like shape, the knobs also lay on the route through this area of the United States Army camel expedition commanded by Lt. William Echols in 1859 (see CAMELS).

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Ronnie C. Tyler, The Big Bend (Washington: National Park Service, 1975).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"CAMEL'S HUMP," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rjc05), accessed September 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.