DEVIL'S BACKBONE (MONTAGUE COUNTY)
DEVIL'S BACKBONE (Montague County). The Devil's Backbone is a narrow ridge five miles northwest of St. Jo in east central Montague County (at 33°44' N, 97°30' W). The ridge, with an elevation of 1,225 feet, was used between the 1850s and the mid-1870s by Comanches and Kiowas as a military lookout to monitor the movements of the Anglo-Americans who moved into the county and established the nearby settlements of St. Jo, Bonita, and Capps Corner.
Jeff S. Henderson, ed., 100 Years in Montague County, Texas (St. Jo, Texas: Ipta Printer, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DEVIL'S BACKBONE (MONTAGUE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rjd11), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.