DUFFY'S PEAK. Duffy's Peak is near State highway 207 eleven miles north of Post in northwestern Garza County (at 33°21' N, 101°23' W). It is composed of sand, clay, and sandstone and rises 2,710 feet above mean sea level and 100 feet above nearby State Highway 207. The local terrain is highly erodible, with moderately steep slopes and some high relief, surfaced by shallow to moderately deep silt loams that support mesquite and grasses. Duffy's Peak served as a landmark for peg-legged surveyor Jasper Hays, who in the late 1870s used it in marking off the boundaries of the Llano Ranch, one of the county's earliest settlements. Local tradition has it that the peak is named for a member of Hays's surveying team who died and was buried near it. Hays's notes, which he buried in mason jars on the peak, were later retrieved for use in further surveys, including that of 1906 for Charles William Post's farm colony in Garza County. In 1969 the Texas Historical Commission erected a historical marker for Duffy's Peak.
Claude W. Dooley, comp., Why Stop? (Odessa: Lone Star Legends, 1978; 2d ed., with Betty Dooley and the Texas Historical Commission, Houston: Lone Star, 1985). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DUFFY'S PEAK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rjd30), accessed November 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.