MEDICINE MOUNDS. Medicine Mounds is a line of four rounded, conical hills in southeastern Hardeman County (at 34°11' N, 99°37' W). The mounds rise 200 to 350 feet above the surrounding plains. The highest, at 1,744 feet above sea level, is topped by a flat cap that the Comanche Indians believed to be inhabited by a powerful and benevolent spirit. The Comanches used this peak as a place for mixing medicinal herbs so that the spirit would add to their curative powers. The remains of an ancient buffalo trail flank the mounds to the west; otherwise the hills are surrounded by cotton and grain fields.
Ernest Wallace and E. Adamson Hoebel, The Comanches (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1952).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Maury Darst, "MEDICINE MOUNDS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rjm44), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.