DEAD MANS CANYON
DEAD MANS CANYON. Dead Mans Canyon, a valley with an intermittent stream, begins a mile northeast of Dead Mans Pass on State Highway 163 in central Val Verde County (at 29°49' N, 101°08' W) and runs southwest for seventeen miles to its mouth on the Pecos River, fourteen miles east of Langtry (at 29°47' N, 101°21' W). Faro Canyon joins Dead Mans Canyon two miles southeast of the Continental Ranch headquarters, and Crazy Canyon meets Dead Mans two miles north of the Southern Pacific tracks. The course of Dead Mans Canyon sharply dissects massive limestone that underlies flat to rolling prairies. It is a wide and deep canyon that ends on alluvial deposits of gravel, sand, clay, silt, and organic material. Soils in the area are generally dark, calcareous stony clays and clay loams that support oaks, junipers, grasses, and mesquites. The canyon was named for several skeletons, the remains of apparent victims of Indian attack, that were found there by early settlers about 1870. Dead Mans Canyon is a significant valley in the Pecos River drainage system.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DEAD MANS CANYON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rkd01), accessed March 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.