PAYNE GAP. Payne Gap, a low pass by Payne Mountain, is on Farm Road 572 thirteen miles southeast of Goldthwaite in southeastern Mills County (at 31°23' N, 98°21' W). With an elevation of 1,472 feet the gap is 137 feet lower than Payne Mountain. It was named for Barzilla Payne, the first permanent settler in the area.
Flora Gatlin Bowles, A No Man's Land Becomes a County (Austin: Steck, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PAYNE GAP," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rkp06), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.