SHAFTER CANYON. Shafter Canyon, a valley with an intermittent stream, begins 1½ miles southeast of Loma Vista in southern Terrell County (at 29°52' N, 102°04' W) and runs south six miles to a point on the Rio Grande 1½ miles below Shafter Crossing (at 29°48' N, 102°06' W). Its course sharply dissects massive limestone on flat terrain and crosses hard and muddy lime on variable surfaces. Generally dark, calcareous stony clays and clay loams support oaks, junipers, grasses, and mesquites. The canyon was named in honor of Lt. Col. William R. Shafter, who in 1876 led his black soldiers across the Rio Grande near the mouth of the Pecos in pursuit of raiding Apaches.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SHAFTER CANYON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rks09), accessed August 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.