DELAWARE RIVER. The Delaware River, also known as Delaware Creek, is an intermittent stream that rises in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park two miles west of Pine Springs and one mile east of Guadalupe Peak in northwestern Culberson County (at 31°54' N, 104°51' W) and runs northeast for seventy miles to its mouth on the Pecos River, just west of Red Bluff Reservoir in Eddy County, New Mexico (at 32°02' N, 104°01' W). Its tributaries include Wild Horse Draw. A number of early American explorers of Culberson County followed the Delaware River through the area, including Capt. Randolph Marcy in 1849 and John Russell Bartlettqqv in 1850. Beginning in 1858 the Butterfield Overland Mail followed the Delaware River across Culberson County en route to El Paso. The area is characterized by steep slopes surfaced by clay and sandy loams that support scrub brush and sparse grasses; some creosote bush and cacti occur along the river's lower reaches.
Roscoe P. and Margaret B Conkling, The Butterfield Overland Mail, 1857–1869 (3 vols., Glendale, California: Clark, 1947).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DELAWARE RIVER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rnd07), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.