ELM FORK OF THE TRINITY RIVER
ELM FORK OF THE TRINITY RIVER. The Elm Fork of the Trinity River rises just south of Saint Jo in eastern Montague County (at 33°42' N, 97°33' W) and runs southeast for eighty-five miles, through Cooke and Denton counties, to its confluence with the West Fork of the Trinity just west of downtown Dallas in central Dallas County (at 32°48' N, 96°54' W). In 1928 the stream was dammed in central Denton County to form Lake Dallas, which had a capacity of 194,000 acre-feet. In 1955 a new, considerably larger, dam was completed. The lake, originally known as the Garza-Little Elm Reservoir, was renamed Lewisville Reservoir in 1960. The stream traverses generally flat to rolling terrain surfaced by shallow, stony loams that support junipers, oaks, and grasses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ELM FORK OF THE TRINITY RIVER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rne08), accessed May 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.