MESQUITE LANDING. Mesquite Landing, below the confluence of the San Antonio and Guadalupe rivers in Refugio County, was known to the early Spaniards as the place of mosquitoes. The name Mesquite is a corruption of the original Spanish. The area was a rendezvous point for the Karankawa Indians; the Spaniards used it as a landing point, and the Ortiz Parrilla Gulf Coast expedition established a military coast guard post on the site around 1766. It was also the second site of the Nuestra Señora del Refugio Mission, which was moved there in 1793. At that time the locality was known as Rancho de los Mosquitos, which was probably one of the establishments of Nuestra Señora del Espíritu Santo de Zúñiga Mission. On his second expedition, James Longqv debarked at Mesquite Landing on September 1821. He left his brigs and a guard there while he marched on Goliad. During the 1820s a Padre Valdez established another ranch within the forks of the San Antonio and Guadalupe rivers just above Mesquite Landing. Formerly the Guadalupe River was navigable to small seagoing craft as far as Mesquite Landing, and early during the Republic of Texas era a ferry was established at the site. During the Mexican War many of Gen. Zachary Taylor's troops, who had landed at Lavaca and Indianola, marched cross-country by means of this ferry to Corpus Christi.
Hobart Huson, Refugio: A Comprehensive History of Refugio County from Aboriginal Times to 1953 (2 vols., Woodsboro, Texas: Rooke Foundation, 1953, 1955). William H. Oberste, History of Refugio Mission (Refugio, Texas: Refugio Timely Remarks, 1942).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Hobart Huson, "MESQUITE LANDING," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rnm03), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.