OLD RIVER (BURLESON COUNTY)
OLD RIVER (Burleson County). Old River, a perennial stream, rises six miles north of Snook in northeastern Burleson County (at 30°33' N, 96°31' W) and flows southeast for twenty-eight miles through mostly open country to its mouth (at 30°23' N, 96°18' W) on the Brazos River. The streambed, possibly a former channel of the Brazos, parallels the river which lies two to four miles to the east. The stream traverses nearly level terrain surfaced by clays that support stands of post oak, blackjack oak, water oak, elm, hackberry, and pecan along the lower course of the creek. In 1824 several members of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, including John P. Coles, William McWilliams, Alfred Kennon, and James Fisher,qqv patented a number of leagues in the Brazos bottom near the creek. In the mid-1880s immigrants from Czechoslovakia established Snook on the west bank of the upper creek. Wilcox lies on the west bank of the lower stream.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."OLD RIVER (BURLESON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rno02), accessed July 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.