PEASE RIVER. The Pease River rises at the confluence of its three branches-the North, Middle, and South Pease (or Tongue) rivers-twenty miles northeast of Paducah in northern Cottle County (at 34°14' N, 100°07' W) and flows eastward for 100 miles. It forms the eastern county line between Hardeman and Foard counties, crosses Wilbarger County and the outskirts of Vernon, and enters the Red River eight miles northeast of Vernon (at 34°12' N, 99°02' W). Some of the river's main tributaries include Catfish Creek in Cottle County, Raggedy Creek and Talking John Creek in Foard County, and Paradise Creek in Wilbarger County. The Pease crosses flood-prone flat terrain with local shallow depressions, surfaced by sandy and clay loams that support water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses. In 1856, while on a surveying expedition for the Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad Company, Jacob de Córdova discovered the unmapped river and named it after Governor Elisha M. Pease. In December 1860 the river was the site of the engagement between the Comanche Indians and the Texas Rangersqv in which Cynthia Ann Parker was recaptured.
James M. Day, Jacob de Cordova: Land Merchant of Texas (Waco: Heritage Society of Waco, 1962). James T. DeShields, Cynthia Ann Parker: The Story of Her Capture (St. Louis, 1886; rpts.: The Garland Library of Narratives of North American Indian Captivities, vol. 95, New York: Garland, 1976; Dallas: Chama Press, 1991).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PEASE RIVER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rnp01), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.