CHAMPION CREEK RESERVOIR
CHAMPION CREEK RESERVOIR. Champion Creek Reservoir, an artificial lake on Champion Creek in the Colorado River basin, is seven miles south of Colorado City in east central Mitchell County (the lake's center point is 32°17' N, 100°52' W). The reservoir is owned and operated by Texas Electric Service Company, and its normal water capacity is 42,500 acre-feet. With an earthfill dam rising 2,109 feet above mean sea level, or 114 feet high locally, the reservoir is designed to hold a maximum of 90,200 acre-feet. Its water is used for industrial, recreational, and municipal purposes. The reservoir has a cut-channel emergency spillway at 2,091 feet above mean sea level and a service spillway at 2,083 feet above mean sea level. On May 28, 1957, before construction on the project began, the state authorized a permit to allow storage of 42,000 acre-feet and to annually divert 4,050 acre-feet of water for industrial use and 2,700 acre-feet for municipal use. General contractors Moorman, Dewitt, and Singleton began construction on May 5, 1958, and finished on April 30, 1959. They began impounding water in February of that year. A thirty-inch pipe through the dam has a valve control for downstream water requirements and connects to a pumping plant to supply water to Lake Colorado City.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CHAMPION CREEK RESERVOIR," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/roc13), accessed September 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.