FERRY LAKE. Ferry (Fairy) Lake was a natural lake in Harrison and Marion counties (at 94°14' N, 32°46' W). Before the Red River raft was cleared in 1873 below Shreveport, Louisiana, water was backed up into the Cypress Bayou system in southeastern Marion County and northeastern Harrison County and formed a series of natural lakes. Others besides Ferry Lake were Shirt (Shift) Tail Lake, Black Lake, and Sodo (Soda) Lake. Over time, after the raft was cleared, water levels fell an estimated six to fifteen feet, and navigation in the system ended. The various lakes drained, silted up, or merged into Caddo Lake. A United States Army Corps of Engineers map dated as late as 1908 gave Caddo Lake as a secondary name of Ferry Lake.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Max S. Lale, "FERRY LAKE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rof04), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.