LAKE AMON G. CARTER
LAKE AMON G. CARTER. Lake Amon G. Carter is on Big Sandy Creek six miles south of Bowie in Montague County (at 33°28' N, 97°52' W). It is owned and operated by the city of Bowie to supply water for municipal and industrial use. Construction of the reservoir began in July 1955, one month after the death of Fort Worth businessman and philanthropist Amon G. Carterqv. The reservoir was completed the following August. The lake has a normal capacity of 20,050 acre-feet, which increases by 10,000 acre-feet at the crest of the emergency spillway. The surface area is 1,540 acres, and the drainage area above the dam is 100 square miles. The waters of Prairie Branch, Trail Creek, and Brier Creek empty into the lake.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Seth D. Breeding, "LAKE AMON G. CARTER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rol09), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.