LAKE EANES. Lake Eanes, on Mercer's Creek three miles south of Comanche in southern Comanche County (at 31°51' N, 98°37' W), was named for J. R. Eanes, a mayor of Comanche. The lake, constructed in 1925, has a capacity of 1,000 acre-feet. It furnished water for Comanche and the neighboring areas and served the purpose of irrigation and recreation. By the 1990s Lake Eanes had been sold by the city of Comanche and was privately owned. Stone picnic tables and benches placed in the lakeside park during the 1930s were moved to Comanche and re-erected in the city park southwest of town. The lake is situated in an area of steep slopes and benches, where shallow clay loams support juniper, live oak, mesquite, and grasses.
Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAKE EANES," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rol32), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.